Monday, June 10, 2013

Funky nails? No thanks.

This is going to sound nuts, but I have never received a pedicure from anyone other than myself. Ok, well, once I let my childhood best friend do it when we were in 5th grade. And 3-4 years ago I allowed a spa therapist to give me a foot massage. But that is it. I'm just not into feet. I realize how ironic this is given I love and obsess over nail polish and doing nails. But feet? If I can pass, I will. So I totally understand when a student tells me they aren't looking forward to pedicures and I feel their discomfort when someone with funky feet comes in. 

What blows my mind is how many people are uneducated on what a foot fungus is/looks like and even more so that the amount of people who don't realize they have one. Or that people "gage" how bad their fungus is and if they think it's "not bad" they come in for a pedicure anyway. 


Uh. Hello. No matter "how bad" you feel your fungus is, doesn't matter. It's still contagious and it's still extremely gross (sorry). 


I can't say I've seen it with my own eyes, because like I stated, I've never had a pedicure at a nail salon, but apparently this is common at nail salons. They will take anyone and everyone no matter what. Just hand over your $20 and they'll risk contaminating the bowl, implements, etc. and passing it along to themselves and/or other Guests. 


It doesn't work like that in our school. We are a school, and we run according to state law. If your toe nails do not look healthy and show signs of possible toe nail fungus, we will decline the service. You are more than welcome to come back after going to your doctor and presenting us with a clean bill of nail health. 


However, this might be the most awkward thing EVER. It's gross for the student who has removed the polished to find a fungus (hope they were wearing gloves!) and then has to play it cool while they get an educator to come do a "check" before they can move on to the next step of the service. 


This is where they grab me and brief me that Susie or Tom has gnarly nails and they think it's a fungus and are freaked out. Wah, wah, wah. This is when I try to keep calm while I mentally prepare my speech to let this person know (in front of others mind you) that they appear to have a fungus and they have to leave (oh, and show their funk to everyone in sight because we removed the polish, sorry 'bout that)! 


You know your nails are funky. They are your's. If they appear unhealthy why are you going to subject them to someone else?! SO. GROSS. And SO. EMBARRASSING. On both parts. You are willing to rock out with your funk out, and I have to tell you straight up to leave because of it. It's awkward for everyone involved. We don't want your funk, and we aren't willing to spread your funk. So stay home or go to those nail salons we discussed earlier. But not here.

The moral of the story is. If you are questioning your nail health - get it checked out. And stay away from my school for a pedicure. :)

You're welcome for this public service announcement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, there! :) I appreciate you taking the time to read my thoughts, and I'd love to read your's. Feel free to comment away! Or you can email me: Love.Alexp@gmail.com